He's not dead, he's resting
What’s in EAPI 3?
EAPI 3’s feature list has been provisionally approved by the Gentoo Council, subject to nothing going wrong when Portage implements it. It’s not yet usable in ebuilds.
EAPI 3 is defined based upon EAPI 2. The changes are:
- Slot operator dependencies
- Use dependency defaults
- DEFINED_PHASES and PROPERTIES are now mandatory
- New default
- Controllable compression
- dodoc -r
- doins symlink support
- dohard and dosed banned
- unpack xz support
- New default econf arguments
- Replace version variables
WORKDIRfallback is sometimes gone
- Most utility commands now die on failure, unless prefixed with
Full and precise definitions will be provided in PMS (and can currently be found in a draft PMS branch); an overview of each feature will appear in subsequent posts.